How much is fiction worth to you?



You can also make a one-time tax-deductible donation now.

You can also make a one-time tax-deductible donation now.

 

 

Why You Should Give Us (a little bit of) Your Money


Pay it Forward: If 10% of our readers give just 25¢ a week, Recommended Reading will be sustainable (and free for the other 90%).


Great Fiction: We’ve published fiction by Helen Dewitt, Mary Gaitskill, A.M. Homes, Ben Marcus, Steven Millhauser, and Jesmyn Ward, as well as letters from Aimee Bender, Michael Cunningham, Nathan Englander, and Jim Shepard. For free.


Support Indie Publishers: Recommended Reading introduces independent publishers to a larger audience. We’re partnered with over 20 independent presses and literary magazines, including A Public Space, Akashic Books, Melville House, New Directions, One Story, and Tin House.


Pay Artists:We’re committed to offering Recommended Reading for free AND paying our writers. We pay $900 in artists fees every month. $2 a week is enough to give an out-of-print story a second chance, or to commission one of our famous Single Sentence Animations.

More about Recommended Reading


GREAT AUTHORS INSPIRE US. But what about the stories that inspire them? Recommended Reading, a magazine by Electric Literature, publishes one story a week, each chosen by today’s best authors or editors.


Recommended Reading is released on a four week curation cycle: beginning with a story chosen by Electric Literature, followed by an excerpt from an indie press, then an author recommendation, and finally a selection from a magazine’s archive. Each issue includes an editor’s note written by that week’s partner, introducing you to the work and their mission.


In this age of distraction, we’re uncovering writing that’s worth slowing down and spending some time with. And in doing so, we’re giving great writers, literary magazines, and independent presses the recognition (and readership) they deserve.